Wednesday 13 March 2013

Writing from the heart and for the heart

I recently organised a talk for local writers and students by Script Developer Katie Boyles and Film Producer Christine Cheung in which they explored what they look for in a good script.  It was a fascinating talk and many of the observations were so relevant to novel and short story writing that I had to share a few key points.  All of these are questions we should be asking ourselves when we write a story. 
  • What is the story?
  • Whose story is it?
  • Do we care about the protagonist's journey?
  • Is the story event led or character driven?
  • At the end of the story, does it stay with us?
  • Do we care? 
In summary we need to be writing from the heart and for the heart

2 comments:

  1. I just love the last one: 'do we care?' Brilliant! Asking myself that question has stopped more than one WIP in its tracks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda - I found their advice really helpful and will definitely apply it to any future pieces that I write.

    ReplyDelete