Friday 30 November 2012

Black Beauty, past and present

I can’t actually remember the first time I read Anna Sewell’s Black Beauty.  I think it was over several sessions when I was staying with an aunt in Kent on a family holiday.  It was on the bookshelf along with other classics like Treasure Island and Little Women.   I was about eight years old, and got very upset about any kind of cruelty to animals.  I loved the illustrations in the book (and wish I could remember what edition it was).  I cried when I read about Ginger’s fate and got so angry I felt like tearing the pages out.  I wanted to attack the people who hurt Ginger.  I also felt like Ginger was being punished for being rebellious, whereas to some extent Black Beauty’s compliance and kind nature helped him to survive.

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell is a hugely influential and universally loved story.  The above extract is from a guest blog post I wrote recently, which can be found on Books, Mud and Compost

The story inspired me to create a novella that I began for Nanowrimo.  I've only managed 675 words so far but hope this will be be my Christmas holiday writing project...



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete